20 January 2012

LCNZ Update 20 January 2012

Kia tau ki a koutou, te atawhai me te rangimarie o te Atua / grace and peace to you from God.

In the two weeks since the beginning of the year, I have spent a lot of time in the garden here at the new manse – looking out over the backyard, thinking what will go where and what might look nice over there, weeding, planting native seedlings, digging holes in the ground, cementing posts into those holes, building the raised vegetable garden boxes that have their foundations attached to the posts in the holes, planting the lettuces, cutting a platform into the side of the steep hill in the backyard for a garden bench with a view out across the suburb, more weeding, planting the kowhai tree (something I feel I need to do having come from a farm known as ‘The Kowhais’ – I realise that probably should be ‘Nga Kowhai’).

It’s been what I like to think of as a time of trying to capture a vision for the garden – what it might become; a time for working out what can be done in order to build on what’s already in place.

And it’s a lot of fun!

My prayer is that as I continue to move forward into the presidency of the Lutheran Church of New Zealand (LCNZ), and as you move forward with me into this partnership in ministry, that together we will dream the dreams and capture a Godly vision for our church.

I say ‘Godly’ vision, because the vision does not originate in or get visualised by us; rather, by the Spirit’s working, we perceive and receive a vision that originates from and is given by God.

If we seek Him with all our heart we will find Him and we will know the plan He has for us –
Jeremiah 29 11For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Installation Of LCNZ PresidentPlease continue to know that you are warmly invited to attend my installation as President of the Lutheran Church of New Zealand:
  • Sunday 12th February at 2.00pm at St Pauls Lutheran Church Wellington (afternoon tea to follow)
  • Preacher: Dr. David Stolz (Past Vice President of the LCA/NZ, Past President of the LCA Victoria/Tasmania)
  • The Rite of Installation: Rev. Mark Lieschke (President of the LCA New South Wales)
Letters of invitation have been sent out to all LCNZ parishes and congregations.

Manse Blessing
On the evening of Friday 27th January we will be conducting a short Rite of Blessing for the new manse in Khandallah, followed by what will probably be a slightly longer (I imagine) House Warming event. We will commit this home and all those who will live here to the care and protection of the Lord with a prayer along the lines of Joshua’s prayer – that as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord (Joshua 24:15).

LCNZ Call News
On Monday Pastor Michael Jarick informed me that he had declined the call to St Pauls Wellington / St Francis Mauriceville West. Mountainside in Auckland will be conducting their call meeting on Sunday 29th January, and Wellington/Wairarapa will resume the call process. Please continue to pray that the Lord would reveal to the LCNZ the pastors he wishes us to call to ministry here. 

Interim Pastors
We are so grateful for the interim ministry of Pastor Norman Bergen and his wife Kay who are serving Wellington and the Wairarapa during January and February. Norm and Kay have settled in well, although our Wellington non-summer is testing Kay a little. God continue to bless you both as you serve amongst us. Pastor David Wundersitz and Barbara are coming to Mountainside during February and March, and, should we need interim ministry in any of these places after March/April we have willing pastors ready to come and serve.

Mā te Atua koe e tiaki
God be with you.

+MARK
President Elect – Lutheran Church of New Zealand