18 October 2011

LCNZ Update 18 October 2011

Kia tau ki a koutou, te atawhai me te rangimarie o te Atua / grace and peace to you from God.

Update on the LCNZ Presidency
Many of you will be aware by now that due to health concerns, my installation to the presidency of the church has been cancelled. For some time now I have been quite unwell, but have tried to put on a brave face and keep going. It is the considered opinion of those wiser than me that the physical signs of my poor health (coughing and headaches) are an indicator of other issues of fatigue and un-wellness; i.e. emotional and mental fatigue.

I have sought the advice of my doctor and my Spiritual Supervisor/Companion, and they are suggesting a significantly reduced workload until early in 2012 while I receive treatment and hopefully start to get better.

I realise that many of you - especially the members of the LCNZ - will be concerned to receive this news; this certainly is not the way I wanted to start my term as president of the LCNZ.

Last week, Judy Calder (chair of the Council of Synod) sent out the following statement to members of the church:
Unfortunately Pastor Mark has been unwell for some time. Because of this continuing situation, he has been advised that at this stage it would be inappropriate for him to take on this demanding responsibility.

Because of this situation, it has been decided that the installation is to be cancelled. Further decisions will be made in the light of health improvements, at a later date. In the interim, Pastor Milton Fritsch (Auckland) will continue in the role of Acting President and Pastor Mark Whitfield will carry out some duties as President-elect.

Please uphold Pastor Mark, his wife Leanne and their three daughters in your prayers as they seek healing, health and comfort.
Over the next 2-3 months until the beginning of 2012, I will re-assess the schedule I have in place and will make appropriate adjustments in order to facilitate healing as quickly as possible.

I also want to say that I have not made any other plans nor am I exploring any other options, apart from the plan to get better.

Twenty20 Workshop - Governance
Once again I would like to encourage you to consider attending this workshop to be held in Wellington on Friday 28th and Saturday 29th October. For more information please check the website.

President's Manse
Council of Synod are currently investigating the possibility of a manse in the suburb of Khandallah. It was viewed by three members of CoS on Monday and a building inspection is being arranged for the next day or so.

Memorial Service - Dawn Klein
Around 18-20 members of St Matthews Hamilton gathered for a Memorial Service at the same time the funeral for Dawn Klein (wife of Pastor Byron Klein) was taking place in South Australia last Wednesday. Dawn served alongside Byron in ministry at Hamilton (and in Marton) during the 1970s.

Kidz Klub Max: "Pyramid Rock"
This week St Pauls Christchurch with the help of folk from St Lukes Palmerston North are running a school holiday programme for primary kids, including stories, songs, games, crafts, afternoon tea. The idea is that participants will follow in the footsteps of Joseph, and discover how God and Joseph made the pyramids ROCK!

Please pray for this program over the next few days.


Call Information
This coming Sunday I will have the pleasure of leading worship and preaching at Mountainside in Auckland, and after the service I will participate in their pre-call meeting.

St Pauls Wellington are continuing with their pre-call process under the watchful and caring eye of Pastor David Lipsys. Retired pastor, Norm Bergen and his wife Kay will be coming to St Pauls for January and February next year; Norm will serve as interim during that time.

Meetings in Adelaide
Last week I attended a College of Presidents meeting in Adelaide and participated in the graduate Interviews at Australian Lutheran College. Seven men have been presented to the church for ordination later this year. I was impressed at the passion these men and their wives had for getting out into the church in order to start their ministry of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Please keep these men and their families in your prayers.

Kia noho a Ihowa ki a koutou / the Lord be with you!

+MARK
President Elect - Lutheran Church of New Zealand